Saturday, May 25, 2013

How do you measure time...

A question often asked of my work.
How long from beginning to end?
How long?

From the spark of inspiration.

To the glimmer of an idea.

To making the idea more.

To a study of fabric color and stitch.


To laying out the pattern.



To placing stitch by stitch.

And stitch by stitch by stitch.




   Time means nothing here. Seasons start and finish.
The work gets picked up and put down. Sometimes it gets set aside for weeks at a time.
  So in answer to the question I can only ask, How do you measure time...

2 comments:

Penny said...

One of my least favorite questions - it always makes me feel like the person asking will decide what its worth by the time it took for me to complete it. For me the process is the whole thing -- so who counts months, weeks, days, hours, minutes when they are doing what they love?!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

An interesting concept..that Penny mentions. Most times I find people that ask how long it took are in awe of the piece and ask because in their view it must have taken a long time. I rarely think they are determining a monetary value by the knowledge of time invested in a piece. But I know there are those that determine value by the time spent on a creation. I feel sorry for them.

I love your Not Trash Birds.